Saturday 8 December 2012

It's the weekend!

So the weekend is finally upon us, and in this busy time of year, it seems to be difficult to find time to just chill.  So last night the boy and I decided to go catch the new flick LIFE OF PI downtown and unwind.  We'd heard it was "A visual masterpiece" (thanks movie poster), and decided it worthy of our $15 (for 3D of course). When 3D first came out, I was drawn to it like a moth to a flame, as the inner child in me was super excited to wear the 3D glasses.  Over the years, it has kind of lost its magic on me, as it seems every movie with even a lick of action is released in this format.  We decided that we would splurge a bit on LIFE OF PI, just to see if it could make me appreciate the art of 3D again.  And you know what? It did, to an extent.  Although most of the movie was using 3D to show depth, there were a few parts where they succeeded on the "WOAH! THAT WAS AWESOME!!!" factor. You know, the moment when something pops right out of the screen and blows you away type of 3D that makes the annoying glasses all worth it.

 
As for the movie, having not read the book prior to viewing (which I prefer to do), I found it very visually appealing and entertaining for the most part.  At times I found the story kind of slow, however, the effects, gorgeous scenery, and exotic animals made up for it (I'm a sucker for anything nature related).  I believe it was the shear passion of the main character that ultimately made the film for me...and the ending sentiments by said character (which I will not spoil!). If you're looking for some time away from the hecticness of the holiday season, I recommend going to see LIFE OF PI/  If nothing else, it allows for some downtime to appreciate the beauty of nature and the strength of the human spirit.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for answering the "should I, shouldn't I" debate about this movie :)

    ReplyDelete