Monday 7 January 2013

Tarantino does it again.

By now it seems that everyone and their mom has seen Django Unchained, the new Tarantino film released on Christmas Day.  Being a Tarantino fan (I love myself a quirky gorefest), I felt compelled to check this one out at the theatre. For the few that have yet to see this film (and still plan to), I won't go into details but I do want to say that it did not disappoint. A little less bizarre than some of his other films (think Death Proof and Kill Bill), Django posed itself as an old time Western dealing with issues of racism and slavery.  As always, the film's soundtrack was quintessential Tarantino, with motown, country and western, and  90's hip hop scores lending as much to the film as the visual effects.  The music, in fact, was my favourite part of the movie, as it altered and enhanced the viewer's experience of the events happening on screen.  This film is not for the squeamish, then again, what Taratino film is?  We have to expect a certain amount of blood and gore from this man, and Django certainly holds true to this motif.  Knowing full well that he can get away with it; Quentin Taratino plays around with very strong language to an almost comical level.
Dr. Shultz, played by the genius Christopher Waltz, was by far my favourite in the film.
 Overall, the film was thoroughly entertaining.  I decide if I like a film by judging on how well it held my attention and if I was ready for it to end.  By these criteria, Django had me glued to the screen from beginning to end and, after 180 minutes, left me wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment